Any good craftsman will tell you that taking care of your tools is the best way to ensure that you are at your best when performing tasks. A saw that is not properly cleaned is likely to become damaged or not function at all, and a nail gun that is not properly maintained will get clogged and jam continuously. This is why you must take care of them properly.
That same is true of your firearms. If you want them to work accurately and do so every time you use them, then you want to make sure the purchase a cleaning kit that will help you to take care of your firearms, whether you are talking about pistols, rifles, or any other type of weapon. Failing to do so is going to cause your weapon to break down. This can cost you a lot of money to replace, where it would’ve made a lot more sense to have simply purchased a kit to properly clean your weapon. It is essential that you purchase yourself the right kind of kit to take care of your tools.
To give you a more thorough review of the best gun cleaning kits, what I did was break this down into four different categories. I want you to be able to choose something that fits your needs, as well as giving you the opportunity to purchase an all-purpose kit if that works best for you.
Have Some Time? Here’s What You Need to Know…
A Little Note About Me
Best All Around Gun Cleaning Kits
|Preview||All Around Gun Cleaning Kit||Rating||Editor's Price|
|#1 Otis Tactical Cleaning System|
|#2 GLORYFIRE Universal Gun Cleaning Kit|
|#3 Falko Universal Gun Cleaning Kit|
#1 Otis Tactical Cleaning System- Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun
- Bronze bore brushes to fit: .22/.223, .270, .30/.308/30-06/30-30, .38/9mm, .45 cal, 12 ga
- Patches to cleans: .17-.50 cal. rifles/pistols, .410 – 12/10 ga. shotgun
- Chamber flag: 0.5 fl.oz.
- Great kit that provides cleaning materials for weapons of all sizes
- Is able to clean even the smallest firearms
- Comes in durable, easy to carry case
- Quality materials used so that it will last/li>
- Could use an 8 inch pistol length cable
- No shotgun brush threaded adapter included
Included in the kit are a set of 2 inch and 3 inch patches that are made of cotton, two patch savers, and three slotted tips. Also included are six bronze bore brushes that are specifically designed for six different types of firearms. This make sure that you can use it with a wide variety of weapons, something that is ideal for the person who has a number of firearms.
To give you the perfect cleaning of your muzzle, there is an 8 inch and a 30 inch memory flex cable that is connected to a connector to make sure that you get the perfect cleaning from breech all the way to muzzle. The 34 inch aircraft grade cable is threaded so that it is small enough for you to be able to clean even .17 caliber firearms.
The obstruction removers come in two different sizes, making it easy to knock out such stoppages as snow, mud, and casings that may get stuck. You are given both a small and a large obstruction remover. These obstruction removers are durable, ready to endure any kind of material blocking your barrel.
The kit comes in a nice case which is about the same size as a CD storage container. That makes it easy to take with you wherever you go, and you will like that is a durable and made to last. Your equipment will definitely be safe.
#2 GLORYFIRE Universal Gun Cleaning Kit for All Guns With Case
- Solid brass rods to fit: solid brass rods for 17-270 caliber rifles, pistols, shotguns & muzzleloaders
- What else: 14 brushes, 9 mops, 12 spear-pointed jags and so on
- Great kit gives you a large assortment of tools and accessories
- Can handle virtually any caliber weapon as well as different types, including rifles, shotguns and pistols
- Lubricant included
- 14 different brushes included in the kit
- It’s amazing all that you get for the price
- A chart that explained what caliber weapon each tool would be best for use with would have been nice
- Too many pieces are made with plastic
What is great about this kit is the tools come in a compact case, but you will be amazed at the wide range of tools that are available. The cases specifically designed so that each tool has a spot which will help to keep you much better organized. I even like the fact that lubricating oil came with the kit.
There are three solid brass rods that are included for use with 17 – 270 caliber rifles, as well as three solid brass rods for 30 other types and calibers of weapons. Included you will find 14 different brushes, nine mops, and over 100 cleaning patches as well as for polishing cloths.
This is a well packaged kit gives you a lot of functionality. You’re really going like the fact that it comes at an affordable price and is the perfect choice for any person who has at least a few different style weapons. Truly a remarkable kit that is well worth the price as it gives you a great deal of functionality and can be used with a wide assortment of weapons.
#3 Falko Universal Gun Cleaning Kit - Perfect for Hand Guns, Rifles and Shotguns
- Solid brass rods to fit: .17-270-cal rifles, pistols & shotgun
- Mops to fit: .22-25-cal, .38-357-cal, 410-ga, 20/28-ga, 10/12-ga
- Jags to fit: 17-cal, 22-cal, .270/7mm cal, .30-32-cal, 35-cal/9mm, .40-45-cal/10mm
- Kit comes with nine different bronze brushes
- Comes with five different mobs in six different jags
- Compact kit that has a lot of accessories to it
- Very durable products, and love that the rods are made of brass
- There are a lot of pieces to this kit that will take some time to figure out
- The insert provided to help with use is fairly useless
Included are nine bronze brushes that will fit anywhere from a 17 caliber all the way up to a 10/12 gauge. Five mops are also included, which combined with 6B rejoin to jags to give you the same coverage that you have with the bronze brushes.
All of the tips and jags are made of an extremely high quality brass, ensuring that you have a product that will be able to clean your weapons thoroughly, while also being built to last. No concern about broken tools inside your gun barrel with this kit. The materials and accessories are built to last, and I really like how durable they are.
Even the cleaning rods are made of a strong brass, so you don’t have to worry about bending or breaking. You can apply a good deal of force without concerns for getting bent. This is a great kit and once you see it will be easy for you to see why I chose it as one of the top universal kits.
Best Pistol/Handgun Cleaning Kits
|Preview||Pistol/Handgun Cleaning Kit||Editor's Rating||Price|
|#1 Real Avid Gun Boss Handgun Cleaning Kit|
|#2 KleenBore Classic Handgun Cleaning Kit KB003H|
|#3 Hoppe's BoreSnake Soft-Sided Pistol and Revolver Cleaning Kit|
#1 Real Avid Gun Boss Handgun Cleaning Kit – for .22.357, 9MM.38.40.44, and .45 caliber handguns
- Brushes & jags to fit: 22 ca , 357 magnum , 38 special, 9 mm, 380 acp, 40, and 45 cal Handguns
- Patches: 25 (3″ x 3″) and 25 (1.5″ x 3″)
- Durable nylon case that protects your kit and makes it easy to take with you
- Provides you with all the accessories you would need to clean the vast majority of handguns
- Great price for all the equipment you receive
- Can work with other caliber weapons
- Bristles are brittle and can break off easily
- You have to be careful with the brushes or they will break
Included in the kit is a two section cleaning rod that contains a swivel tip that allows you to reach as far as 9 inches, making it easy to use with any size pistol. Four different brushes are included, specifically designed to give you a brush that should work within your caliber weapon. The brushes are made with a phosphor bronze blend. You also receive 50 cleaning patches, divided into two separate sizes of 25, and get to durable black slotted tips.
You can be sure with this kit that you can clean the most popular brands of handgun on the market, keeping them in optimal condition. Plus, this kid is made for you to be able to take anywhere, making it the ideal choice for any handgun owner.
Finding a quality handgun cleaning kit is not always easy, as many have issues, but that was not the case with this one. With the exception of some minor flaws, I loved the durability, effectiveness, and success I had when using it.
#2 KleenBore Classic Handgun Cleaning Kit KB003H
- Size: .38/.357/9mm, .40/.41/10mm, .44/.45 caliber
- Gun Conditioner: 2 oz.
- Durable and attractive looking case
- A simple kit which works quite well
- Accessories are made with the very best materials ideal for longevity
- The tray inside the case could have a greatly improved look
- You will need a much better solvent and oil than what is included
The kit comes in a nice, attractive looking case, with a tray that is specifically designed to hold each item snugly. This is a case that can handle being throwing your bag and taken with you on a regular basis, as it was built to last. Having a durable case is always good with a gun cleaning kit, and this is one you’ll be proud you spent the money on.
The rod inside this kit is made of the highest grade steel, ensuring that you can get down and dirty while you are cleaning. Plus, I like that it came with rotating handles. There is a plastic muscle guard that is included to ensure that you are able to protect the barrel during the cleaning process.
Also included is a gun conditioner, a utility gun brush, and cotton patches. There really is not an accessory you would need when cleaning your firearms that is not included, making it a good choice at a price that’s affordable. This is a great little kit that has just about everything you need to be able to handle a good cleaning of your weapon.
#3 Hoppe's BoreSnake Soft-Sided Pistol and Revolver Cleaning Kit
- Size: 34002 .357-38mm, 9mm Caliber
- What else: BoreSnake, Solvent, Lubricating Oil, Weatherguard Cloths and pulling tool
- Easy to use, even for beginners
- Comes in a durable case which is easy to attach to your belt or even stuff in your jacket pocket
- Comes with everything you need to clean your weapon
- A great price for a fantastic product
- You can even use it for cleaning dirty ammo
- Not for every kind of handgun
- Really, the only other complaint is that it takes a little getting used to for those who are accustomed to using rods and brushes
Unique design starts with the BoreSnake, which does a fantastic job of cleaning the weapon and makes it easy to use as well. I like that I didn’t need a whole lot of cleaning tips are extra swabs to be able to clean a firearm. All I needed to do was drop the brass weight through the barrel, grab hold of the string, and let the product do the rest.
Amazingly, it fit virtually any kind of handgun, but work best with .357 and 9 mm caliber. It can work for others, but you want to check that before deciding to purchase.
Everything you need to clean the weapon is included in the kit. This includes both solvents and oils, so there is no additional purchase you need to make. Plus, it does come with a gun cloth.
Whether you are an experienced gun enthusiast or someone who is a beginner, you will find that this kit is ideal. Truly a fantastic way to clean your handgun.
Gun Cleaning Kit Buyer Guide : How to Make the Right Choice?
While there are many great gun cleaning kits out there that does not mean that all of them are exceptional. There are some that are clearly better than others, and there are those that may be good but may not fit your particular needs. When choosing a gun cleaning kit for yourself, here are the things you need to consider.
- Type of Gun. There are specific gun cleaning kits that are designed for a certain kind of weapon. For example, a rifle is clearly going to need different kinds of tools to be able to clean the inside of the barrel. Finding a kit that specifically fits with your kind of weapon is a necessity.
- Accessories Included. As we gone through these reviews, one of the things that you have seen is that some kids provide you with a great many accessories. This includes the type of brushes, cleaners, holders, and other types of accessories that make one kit a better choice, primarily because of what it has to offer.
- Size of Kit. Besides accessories, one thing you’re going to find that is quite practical is the amount of equipment you receive in your kit. Some choices go all out, giving you a number of different tools and solvents that make it ideal for use with any kind of weapon. This can be one of those instances where more is better.
- Caliber Sizes. Even if a gun cleaning kit is specifically designed for a type of weapon, that may not mean it works for different calibers of that type of weapon. Make sure you get a kit that works with the kind of caliber weapon you have.
- Ease of Use. There are a number of different components that come with the kit that can make it a bit more complicated to use. You may not want to spend hours trying to read a brochure or watching a YouTube video to figure it out. Find something that is easy for you to be able to figure out how to use and where to use.
- Tool Quality. While there are a large assortment of great quality kits out there, many of them are made with various types of materials. Some use a durable plastic, which some users don’t particularly like.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
Before closing out this review, I wanted to spend a little time answering some questions. When friends and family asked me about the best rifle, pistol, or other type of shooting kit, these are the kinds of things that I am frequently asked, so I thought I would save you a little time by providing you with the information here.
#1 Why cleaning a gun is important?
As with any tool you may have, cleaning your gun is essential. Dirt, debris, oil, carbon, and other forms of matter can get inside your gun. This cannot only cause it to have issues of accuracy, but could cause the weapon to malfunction, maybe even cause a serious accident. You must clean this on a regular basis if you wanted to work at its best.
#2 How often should I clean my gun?
To be honest, the only real answer to this question is after every use. Every time you go out to the range, go hunting, or fire your weapon for any other reason, you should clean it afterward. This ensures that it will work effectively for you in the future. If truth be told, there is really no such thing as cleaning your weapon too often. As long as you do it right you should not have issues.
As an additional sidebar to this, if you have not used your weapon in some time, over a few months, it would make good sense to clean the weapon before using it. Dirt and debris can build up over time, and it just pays to be safe and make sure it is thoroughly cleaned before you use it.
#3 How to check if a gun is clean?
To check to make sure that your gun is clean first, take it apart and inspect each part of the gun. There should be a very light coat of lubricant around most parts of your weapon, but you should not seem dirt, carbon, or any other kind of debris. In the barrel, run a cotton swab inside to see what material comes out. Use a white glove when running your fingers across the weapon. If you see dirt or other debris, you know you don’t have a clean weapon.
#4 How to keep guns from rusting?
One issue you have to worry about with any weapon is the gun developing rust on it. Even if you have taken the proper measures to clean your weapon, heat and humidity can wreak havoc with your weapon, leading to rust. This can also occur if you are spending a long period of time outdoors where it is raining or incredibly humid.
To make sure this does not happen there are really four steps to take. First, reduce humidity around your weapon. This can be done by getting a gun storage locker which keeps humidity out or by purchasing a dehumidifier that will remove humidity from the air. You can even put silica gel inside the gun cabinet to protect from excess moisture buildup.
Try to reduce the time you were out in bad weather. Rain and snow can have a terrible effect on your weapon, so do your best to avoid this. Also, clean your gun regularly, at least for five times a year. There are also anti-rust sprays that you can buy which will remove this possibility. That’s of good investment to make.
#5 What is a jag used for in gun cleaning?
The jag is used to hold a patch. The patch is placed over the jag and then inserted into the bore of the weapon. This helps to quickly and effectively remove away dirt, oils, and other debris that may have gotten in the bore.
#6 What is CLP gun cleaner?
CLP stands for cleaner lubricant protectant. It is an oil that provides all three of these functions in one, lubricating the weapon, protecting it from damage and debris, and cleaning it all at the same time.
#7 Do I need a specific gun cleaning kit?
The answer to this is “Yes”. It’s not that there is a specific brand or style of kit that you necessarily need, but you do need a kit that has the proper tools to clean your specific weapon. While there are many universal kits that have kits that can clean several different kinds or calibers of guns, you need to make sure that the kit you are choosing is able to handle your specific weapon.
Before you decide to purchase any kind of kit, you should check to make sure that your caliber weapon will work with it. This should be listed on the box, or at least on the company’s website.
#8 How much is a gun cleaning kit?
It really depends on what kind of kit you are talking about. Some of the boresnake options were his cheapest $20, but there are kits that rise to near $200. It is all about what you are looking for in the kit, the brand name, and the accessories included. The quality of the materials, how money brushes and other accessories you have all play a part in price. If you are a person looking for a universal kit to use with several weapons, you should be aware you were going to pay more money.
#9 Is everything I need in a gun cleaning kit?
Practically all kits will include the materials you need to get started. This even includes solvent and oils. However, it is usually a very small amount at first. You may only be able to perform one or two cleanings before you have to purchase additional products. However, the rods, brushes, and other accessories you need for cleaning should be included in the kit you buy.
#10 Where to buy a gun cleaning kit?
You can buy kits in a wide assortment of places. There are online, gun shops, even major retailers sell gun cleaning kits. If you are opting to buy online, it may make sense for you to go and look at the different kits at a store so you can see exactly what they look like upfront before making your purchase.
#11 What safety precautions should I take when cleaning a gun?
As with any other time you are handling a firearm, you should always take precautions. You should make sure that the weapon is on safety, that you have checked to make sure that there are no rounds inside the weapon, and that you have removed any material, such as gunpowder, that could cause injury.
Also, handle the solvents and oils properly. These can become flammable, so make sure that you store them and use them in a way that keeps you safe.
Most gun kits will come with a list of instructions on exactly how to use the kit. The safest thing that you can do is follow those instructions to protect yourself and your weapon.