Your gun safe is your protection, ensuring that your firearms are kept secure. Whether it is a revolver, pistol, assault weapon, or other form of firearm, it is essential that you have a gun safe to help keep these firearms and their accessories secure.
While a safe is a great idea the truth is that not every one of them is easy to open. Even if you are using the standard combination lock style, some can be a little finicky or are a little too sophisticated if you do not have the proper instruction.
While it may seem like common sense to be able to open the safe, it can be little more complicated than you may think. This is especially true as technology has advanced. Because of things like biometric sensors and upgraded software programs, it can be a challenge to get your safe open if you don’t properly understand exactly how to do this.
#1How to Open a Biometric Lock?
The biometric lock is one of the newest innovations, which uses a fingerprint as the means to be able to access the safe. Depending upon the kind of safe that you purchase, you may be able to in print up to 120 different fingerprints within the database. This makes it perfect for a business that needs to allow multiple people to be able to access the safe, but no one should believe that they are limited solely to business use. These can still be great for your home.
The advantage of the biometric safe is that it limits greatly the number of people who would be allowed to have access. It is believed that out of every 64 million people, only to would have an identical set of fingerprints. This greatly reduces any chance that someone would be able to use their print to get into a safe because it matched yours.
To use the biometric safe, it is fairly simple. You should always start by reading the manual that is provided from the company. This will often give you step-by-step instructions of exactly what you need to do to be able to properly imprint your fingerprint in the safe’s database. You should be able to find this online as well. However, if you are having some troubles here are some steps to follow.
- First, you want to ensure that you have properly installed your safe where you intended to reside. This ensures that no damage will occur or that the system does not get altered in some way during the moving process.
- Next, and sure that the batteries or whatever electrical source is applied so that the safe is active and able to be programmed.
- Once the safe is open, you will be able to use the mechanism inside to be able to activate the sensor. With your finger on the sensor, you are able to lock your fingerprint into the safe so that it will hold your imprint as an unlocking option. To be on the safe side, do this three or four time to make sure that the imprint has properly been recorded.
- Once the safe is closed, all you have to do to unlock the safe is to put your finger on the sensor. This will immediately unlock the safe, you turn the handle and you are in.
While this type of lock is a fantastic way to secure your items, be sure that your safe is accurately recording your fingerprint. If you are having issues with the sensor, you may need to contact the manufacturer or return your safe for another model.
#2How to Open an Electronic Lock?
Electronic safes use some form of keypad to enable you to gain access into the unit. The code that is implemented can be anywhere from 3 to 9 digits depending upon the brand and model you have purchased. While some safes demand a specific number of digits in the code, others give you the ability to choose between a certain numbers of digits, making it so that you can make your coat even more unique. To set it so you can unlock an electronic safe, here is what you need to do:
- Position the safe where you intend to install it in your home or business.
- Next, insert the batteries or whatever electrical source is necessary to keep the digital keypad active.
- Now, with the safe door open, activate the mechanism that enables you to be able to program in your code. To be on the safe side, ensure that it is working before you lock safe.
- Whenever you need to open your unit, all you need to do is punch in the keycode and you are in. It really is that simple.
As a note related to these types of safes, be aware that the digital keypad’s don’t always work as easily as your standard ATM machine. You may press on a button and it can become stuck, the number does not punch in properly, or you find that numbers repeat. If you are having challenges, work with the manufacturer to try to get them resolved, otherwise you may need to send it back.
#3How to Open a Combination Lock?
The combination lock safe is one of the most common types you were going to find. In fact, this type dates back several centuries and is still the most commonly used type of safe even today.
Just because it is old does not mean that it is not useful, but that does not mean that it does not come without its idiosyncrasies. You can have challenges with a combination save, making it important that you take the necessary steps to properly set your combination so that you can open your save when you need to. Here are the steps to get your safe unlocked:
- Position the safe in the location in your home or business where you intend to install it. This is an important first step, as you don’t want any jostling of the safe to cause an issue with the combination.
- With the door open, follow the steps to properly Lockyer combination code into the memory of the safe. Before securely locking the safe, make sure that the combination lock works. This will save you from having to either use the key or contact someone to help you to get into the safe should your combination have not taken hold.
- When you need to open your safe, all you need to do is use the combination that you programmed to allow you to have access to the safe.
As an important note, be aware that some combination safes are a little more difficult to use than others. The reason behind it is that even if you are correctly putting in the numbers, the lock can be a bit temperamental at times. Try the lock a few times to ensure that it is working properly.
#4What Happens If I Lose My Key or Combination?
While these safes are built to keep people out who don’t have the proper access, that does not mean that they are all completely impenetrable. If you are locked out of your safe, there are things that you can do to still gain access.
The problem that some have is that at some point they may lose the combination, their key may be damaged, or the biometric locking system may falter in some way. This ultimately locks them out of their safe, and hiring someone to come and open it can be costly.
If there are situations where you have either lost the combination or your key, be aware that there are still steps you can take that will hopefully give you access into your safe.
#4.1How to Open a Gun Safe Without the Key?
If you have lost your key, there are a few steps you can try to still get yourself into the safe. The first is through the use of a knife. It may be odd, but the use of a knife can actually be one of the easiest ways to get yourself access into your unit. To use a knife, here are the steps that you should follow:
- Start by getting yourself a knife that has a sharper tipped blade. You want to make sure that the tip of the knife is going to be able to insert inside the keyhole of the lock.
- Use the tip of the knife-point and insert it into the keyhole.
- Lightly tremble the knife back and forth and try to see if you are able to turn the lock to give you access into the safe. If you are unsuccessful after a few tries, don’t just quit. You may find that it takes eight are nine opportunities for you to be able to get the lock open. Be careful, not to break your knife tipoff inside the lock.
If a knife does not work, then try the same procedure using a screwdriver. It will need to be a flathead type, and you may find that this will give you the action necessary to get your safe open.
#4.2How to Open a Gun Safe Without the Combination?
If you have lost the combination to your safe, the most sensible thing for you to do is to try opening it using a magnet. This takes a lot of patience and requires you to be in a quiet location to be able to accomplish the task, but you can successfully get your safe opened this way.
- Acquire a larger sized magnet made of neodymium and place it inside a gym sock.
- What you need to do is to locate the solenoid inside the safe. The solenoid comes with nickel installed in it, and is what is used to activate the locking device. You can be sure that this Illinois is located within the front door, so this is where you want to begin.
- You will need to ensure that it is quiet. As you slowly move the magnet along the front of the safe at some point you will come across the cell annoyed, releasing the lock. The reason you needed to be extremely quiet is that you will need to hear when the lock is released.
You may wonder why a sock is necessary, but it is important that you use this. The use of a sock makes it easier for you to be able to slide along the door without the magnet being stuck to the safe. This will help to speed up the process and make it so that it will hopefully take you just a few moments to get your safe door open. Plus, you don’t want your magnet to scratch the door either.