Whether you are an experienced archer or someone who is new to the sport, there are certain tools that you can use that can help you to be more accurate with each and every shot. This is where the arrow rest has become one of the most invaluable for competitive archers all the way down to people who are just learning how to use a bow.
This tool allows you to secure your arrow in place, ensuring that you get a more accurate shot each and every time. They are easy to use and install, and provide the kind of stability that makes it ideal for any person who wants to get the most accurate shot each and every time.
Arrow Rests Types and their Usefulness for Shooters
There are three primary types of arrow rests: shoot through rests, drop away arrow rests, and standard arrow rests. Each of these comes with its advantages.
- Shoot Through Rests. This is one of the most common types of rests, with the whisker biscuit style being the most common. The rest uses stiff bristles with a hole in the center that allows you to secure your arrow shaft into place. These type of rests keep direct contact with the arrow, helping to generate a more accurate shot. However, because the bristles are in contact with the arrow you lose some velocity, maybe even as much as 2 feet per second.
- Drop Away Arrow Rests. This type of rest is becoming extremely popular. The drop away rest does exactly what its name implies. As your arrow passes through the rest, the product drops away so that no contact is actually made with the fletching at all. Yet, it still provides an incredible amount of accuracy by holding the arrow securely in place prior to the shop being taken. Because there is no contact with the fletching, you have no reduction in velocity. However, because of the mechanics involved, you do have to worry about this product breaking down.
- Standard Arrow Rests. The standard rest is typically a flipper or built with a two-pronged design. This allows your arrow to sit on a small arm that is spring-loaded. This is usually covered in some kind of plastic to deaden any noise, and the arrow is held in place by the rest itself. This means that the arrow comes in contact with the rest, causing a slight reduction in velocity.
Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the Perfect Arrow Rest
While an arrow rest can be an exceptional accessory to help you to enjoy your time out at the range or out hunting a lot more, the truth is that not every rest is built the same. It is also true that not every option you will find fits your particular needs. If you are looking to find the right arrow rest for yourself, here are some factors you should consider.
- Noise level. Some are specifically designed to reduce or even eliminate noise when you are loading the arrow or when firing. This is important when you are out hunting and you don’t want to give your position a way to your prey.
- Ease to Set up. Some options can be a lot more difficult to try to install and use. Finding one that works well with your particular bow and that is easy to install is important. Plus, you want one that fits your particular needs in terms of what you are looking for during use.
- Durability. This is important with almost any type of product you will purchase, but when you are talking about a device that helps you to perform better with your bow, durability is a big issue. Something that breaks down eliminate your enjoyment with your weapon, and something that can easily get damaged won’t suit your needs for very long.
- Interference. One of the most important factors to consider in choosing the right rest for yourself is how easy it is for the arrow to travel through the rest. The reality is that there are some arrests who actually interfere with the trajectory and speed of the arrow being released from your bow. That may not work for you. If the highest degree of performance is what matters to you most, then interference is a big issue.
- Hand Style. You also want to consider the hand style. Many of these are built for both right or left handed persons, but you will find some rests that are specifically geared towards one dominant hand, usually the right.
- Price. Price is always an issue no matter what you are buying. You want to get a quality product, but may find that there are some that are outside your budget. Fortunately, most of the options available are priced under $100, which is workable for the vast majority of people.
What is The Best Arrow Rest on the Market?
Now that you have an idea of what makes for a good choice in choosing an arrow rest, we thought we would provide you with a group of 12 quality products. This gives you some ideas for some of the very best no matter what type of arrow rest you choose.
#1 Hamskea Hybrid Hunter Pro Right Hand Microtune – Best Overall
- Built to give you great performance and silence
- The bounce back elimination coil works to perfection
- The arrow containment area make sure that arrows stay firmly in place and that you get the right shot every time
- A durable product that is built for longevity and performance
- There are a lot of moving parts with this product, meaning that there could be the potential for mechanical failure
- Does not come in any camouflage diversions, which was kind of a disappointment
One of the features that really caught our attention was how light weight it was, as much as 20% lighter than many of the other products you will find in the market, yet it did not lose any of its quality or durability. It is built to provide very little sound, as you will be impressed how quiet it is when the rest drops.
Speed is an essential part of how this was built. You get excellent arrow clearance, making it easy to load, and there are a number of adjustments and features that really make this product stand out. There is a bounce back elimination coil which works perfectly, eliminating sound and making it comfortable to use the product.
The V arrow rest containment make sure the arrows are always fitting properly within the rest. This ensures that you get the best shot every time, and that you’re going to get an accurate shot. You also like that there is no lateral plate of this. The zero-tolerance system makes sure that you get the right kind of stability and that your arrow fires accurately each and every time.
We found this to be the very best product to the market, and have no doubt that you will feel the same. Truly a remarkable arrow rest to say the least.
#2 QAD Pro Series LD Drop-Away Arrow Rest – Best Arrow Rest for Target Shooting
- It is very easy to install and comes with a DVD to assist you if you have questions
- Very reliable and built to give you a great performance with each shot
- Built to be a long lasting and durable product
- There are options available for both right-handed and left-handed shooters
- The sticky padding on the back of the felt is rather weak
- This is an expensive product in comparison to many other production options
This QAD product is made with an aluminum build that provides durability and performance you can count on for years. It can handle any kind of weather, terrain, or tasks you put it through and still keep performing to perfection each time. The aluminum construction also includes stainless steel and Delrin parts.
To ensure you get a quiet performance each time, laser-cut felt is used which reduces noise when loading arrows. The felt can also be easily replaced should it wear down, and there are kits you can purchase from QAD to enable you to make the swap quickly and easily. It is true that the sticky backing on the replacements is wanting, but it is still a nice addition to purchase.
There are a number of great features included, which start with total arrow containment. There is also total fetching clearance, and lock down technology. They have designed this product well and it shows in the price, but it is well worth it. If performance is what you want then you will be glad that you spent the money on this option.
#3 Quality Archery Designs Ultra-Rest HDX – Best Arrow Rest for Hunting
- The lock feature helps to avoid any vibration
- The arrow containment area is perfect to provide accurate shots every time
- Built with a durable stainless steel that is made to last
- The draw indicators make sure that you can make accurate shot adjustments each and every time
- It is a difficult product to install, even for experienced hunters
- Because of the number of moving parts, wear and tear is a concern
This rest is made of a high quality stainless steel, making it built to last and giving you great durability. Plus, it is built to resist rust, a feature you will be glad you have when you spend long hours in damp areas.
The design comes with a lockdown technology which helps you to automatically set the arrow rest back to the drop position whenever the launcher has fallen. We also really liked the anti-vibration technology that is included, which serves a number of purposes, including eliminating vibration from the release as well as from the elements. This also makes it one of the most noise free options you are going to find on the market.
The speed is for up to 400 FPS, and the launcher will drop with great speed while still giving you the proper accuracy you need to hit your target perfectly every time. The arrow rest is built to be versatile, meaning that both left and right-handed persons can use the rest for their bow. Plus, it is built to provide a total arrow containment area.
What really separates this from most of the other options is the noise reducing features. Your position is not going to be given away by this product, as is made of a laser cut felt, dampeners, and they can break. Apart from the price, there is maybe no option better than this one.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
#1 What Does an Arrow Rest Do?
An arrow rest cradles your arrow securely in the exact same starting place for every shot. This means that no matter what the orientation of the bow is, whether vertical or horizontal, you will have the same secure position for the arrow each and every time.
#2 Does a Whisker Biscuit Affect Accuracy?
No, that is not really a concern with this type of rest at all. Where the primary concern arises with the whisker biscuit is in velocity. Because the bristles are placed directly against the arrow, it will slow down the arrow as it is being released. This does affect accuracy over a long distance where the speed reduces so the arrow starts to degrade in terms of elevation. However, at short distances, you are likely to find that the whisker biscuit actually improves accuracy.
#3 Does Every Archer Need an Arrow Rest?
No, not at all. This is a good accessory for some, maybe even for most archers. However, there are those who by the design of their bow find that there is absolutely no need for a rest at all. Then there are those who are so efficient with their weapon that arrest becomes more of a hindrance than a benefit. It is really up to you.
#4 What Arrow Rest Do The Pros Use?
It really depends upon who you are talking about. Most are likely to use the drop away rest options, but this is about personal preference. There are those who prefer other styles simply because they grew up using them, or have had greater success with one option over another. This is really about personal preference.
#5 How Do You Find The Correct Position For an Arrow Rest?
The arrow rest is placed approximately 6 mm away from the hand. This ensures that you get the proper amount of clearance so that the arrow does not come in contact with the hand when fired.
#6 How to Set an Arrow Rest and Adjust Center Shot?
The important thing in determining the proper position of the arrow rest so that you get the center shot is that you get the exact same hit, a bullseye regardless of whether you are shooting at 6 feet away, 16 feet away, or 160 feet away. This requires you to continually test and tell you have that dead center hit each time. Once you have it in position, then you know you have positioned your rest properly.
#7 How to Tell if My Arrow Rest and The Nocking Point are Aligned?
This is best accomplished by making sure that the nock lines up with the cock vane and not with the hen vanes. You also want to check the arrows after each shot to ensure that the nocks remain positioned and are free from chips or other damage.