Gun safe can be the ideal way to protect the things that matter to you most. If you are a person who has firearms, jewelry, or other valuable items, you want to have the security to know that you have a place to store those items where people will not be able to take them. A safe gives you that kind of peace of mind.
While this unit gives you that added protection, you also want to make sure that you are placing it in a location that ensures that either people will not know that it even exists or, if they do, that they are unable to get into it or remove it.
This is one of the most essential aspects of owning a gun safe, and is often forgotten by many safe owners. They believe that the purchase is all that matters, but the truth is that security of your valuables is doubled or even tripled by taking the proper precautions when installing your safe this is why you want to be smart about where you choose as a location and how you install the safe itself.
#1 How to Hide a Gun Safe in Plain Sight?
If you ask most people, they will tell you that the smartest thing you can do is to store your gun safe in a location where it would be difficult to find. That would seem to make a lot of sense, but it is not always the practical choice.
Benefits of Hiding a Gun Safe in Plain Sight. If you have a gun safe, especially one intended for long rifles, you may find that it is difficult for you to be able to hide it in a closet or wall of your home. In fact, it is likely that it will not fit in the wall or floor of your house at all. It is not necessarily a bad idea to hide it in plain sight, if you have the right safe and have properly installed in your home. There are advantages of having your safe in plain sight, which include:
- The truth is that gun safe can be a very decorative feature to your home. Many choose a gun cabinet where glass is used to display the weapons, but if you are trying to ensure that you are protecting your firearms then it is better that you choose an all metal safe, these can still look quite attractive, and many are beautifully designed and finished to give a very elegant look.
- The advantage of having it in a location that is open is that it makes it more easily accessible to you. Should you have an emergency, you don’t need to try to run to a closet or to the basement to locate your safe, get it open, and confront an intruder or other issue.
What to Consider Hiding a Gun Safe in Plain Sight? Should you opt to go with a safe that is in the open, you want to protect it from those who would use your weapons or take your safe. You have to be smart about where you located, but you can protect your safe from it being stolen. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- If you are choosing a larger sized gun safe, one that is intended for use with long rifles, you can be sure that it can be quite heavy. Many of these safes way as much as 300 pounds, so someone is not likely to be moving that without the assistance of others or some form of mechanical equipment. That’s to your advantage right off.
- You can camouflage your gun safe so that no one would know you have it. You can purchase a cabinet where the safe would easily slide into it. In fact, there are safes out there that actually come pre-installed inside a cabinet, giving a form of camouflage that you can use to prevent people from knowing that you have a safe at all.
- There are cabinets that look like a normal china hutch, but have a sliding back where your rifles are stored. Unless someone new how the cabinet was designed, they would be completely oblivious to the fact that there were weapons stored inside the cabinet.
- There are gun safes you can purchase that look like small end tables or cabinets. A false front hides the locking mechanism, making it appear that it is nothing more than a simple and table are cabinet.
However, if none of those options are available to you then consider some other form of camouflage. You could cover the safe with a cloth, making it appear as nothing more than a cabinet or table. You could even place a box over the top of it to make it appear as if it is something you are intending to move or something you are simply storing.
Also, don’t be afraid to show off your gun safe if necessary. As long as you have properly secured the safe so that it is extremely difficult to remove, you have taken the proper precautions so that your safe can be out in the open. This makes it a lot easier for you to be able to get access to in an emergency, and lets people know that if they try to break into your home you been business!