Gun safe is a great way to protect your firearms from theft. Plus, it can be ideal for storing other kinds of valuables that you have, including such things as gems, jewelry, media files, important documents, and the like.
While a gun safe is a great purchase, many don’t realize that a huge issue they could face is the buildup of humidity within the safe. In fact, some report that the safe that they purchased continuously allowed humidity and condensation to build up in the safe until there were puddles of water. This will damage your valuable documents and media and cause your firearms to rust.
The solution to this problem is to purchase the best gun safe dehumidifier. These handy products will greatly reduce the amount of condensation that can occur to virtually nothing, giving you that added protection to guard the possessions that matter to you most.
Have Some Time? Here’s What You Need to Know…
Types of Gun Safe Dehumidifier
To begin with, it is important to know that there are two different kinds of dehumidifiers to use in a gun safe. The two options are the desiccant and the electric options.
This is a product you are probably quite familiar with already, especially if you have bought clothes or other products where humidity can damage the product. The desiccant dehumidifier is really nothing more than those little gel packs you have frequently found in products.
The way it works is quite simple. The gel contained in this product acts very much like a sponge, sucking up all the moisture that is in the air. In a safe, especially one that it is housed in a basement, you can be sure that humidity is going to build up in the safe, with this most likely being a problem during warmer months.
The use of a desiccant dehumidifier will help to eliminate excess humidity that can build up during the safe, but these particular kinds of dehumidifier packets only work for a certain time before you need to replace them. This is usually no more than a few months at most.
The electric dehumidifier is the more common option for some, primarily because they can control the humidity levels within the safe. Some do not want to completely remove all moisture from the safe, as that can dry out money, documents, and other valuable objects to you. Setting the dehumidifier to something like 10% ensures that the amount of moisture is regulated but not removed completely. There are two types of electric dehumidifiers:
- Battery powered
Each has their advantages. A corded unit will run as long as the moisture level has not been exceeded, but it requires you to drill a hole in the safe which ruins a fire or waterproof safe. The power pack removes this problem, but requires you to recharge the dehumidifier on a regular basis.
Best Gun Safe Dehumidifiers on the Market Right Now!
Now that you have some information on what to look for in the right kind of dehumidifier, here are some great choices for you to review.
#1 Hurbo Dehumidifier Portable Quiet Electric Compact 50oz
- Efficient and powerful and how it controls humidity in any room
- Perfect for protecting your safe by providing moisture removal throughout the room
- Built to be energy efficient and eco-friendly
- Quiet during operation
- Perfect for use in areas where mildew is a serious concern
- If you allowed the reservoir to completely fill, it is likely you will spill during removal of the bin
- Really no other issues
The dehumidifier has a water tank reservoir that is able to hold up to 1.5 L, allowing you to let it operate for a day or more without needing to empty the reservoir. Plus, it is so efficient that even in safes that provide a tight seal, you can still be sure that moisture is being removed so that it will not damage your firearms, and documents, media, or other valuables stored in the safe.
Unlike many similar dehumidifiers, this is a quiet operation product. There is no humming or buzzing sound. You simply plug it in, turn it on, and you are ready to go. Plus, you can set the temperature and humidity level you would like for the room.
This dehumidifier comes with an energy saving mode, ensuring that you do not waste electricity. It only comes on in accordance with the setting you chose, saving you electricity and making it a great eco-friendly product. When the reservoir is full, the indicator light turns from green to yellow, letting you know it is time to empty the tank. A great option that is perfect for any home.
#2 Stack-On SPAD-1500 Rechargeable Cordless Dehumidifier
- Rechargeable battery pack ensures you are truly getting the benefits of a cordless dehumidifier
- You can either lay it down or attach it to the safe without worrying about it spilling
- Includes a hook for you to be able to hang it
- Provides up to six weeks of use on one battery charge
- Can take up to 12 hours of time to recharge
- Gets very hot during the recharging process. You may not be comfortable leaving it charging overnight without watching it
The Stack-On allows you to recharge the batteries overnight, and then receive up to six weeks of protection inside your safe. This means that just twice a quarter you would have to recharge this dehumidifier to use it. A very small price to pay to get maximum protection inside your safe for your firearms and other valuables.
Then there is the fact that this is a small sized dehumidifier. At just 10 inches on its longest side, there is plenty of room inside most safes to be able to easily fit this dehumidifier to give you the protection you need. Plus, it weighs just slightly over 1 pound, meaning that anyone can move it when needed.
This is the perfect option for a person who is looking for a dehumidifier that they can simply put inside their safe and forget about it. It comes with a sensor to let you know when the dehumidifier is full and needs to be emptied and it is built to allow you to attach it to the sfe or it its door without it spilling.
#3 Goldenrod Original Dehumidifier
- Very tough product that is designed for durability
- Provides coverage for an extremely large area
- Handles virtually any humidity problem in a hassle-free way
- Lifetime warranty proves you can have confidence in the durability of this product
- Must remain horizontal at all times for you to be able to use it
- You may need to add a fan to circulate air to get to the proper temperature and humidity you desire
What you will really like is that this product has gone through a durable testing period long before it ever reached you. The company thoroughly tested this product, ensuring that it met the highest standards while also giving you a durable product that is guaranteed for as long as you own the dehumidifier.
This safe provides up to 100 ft.³ of protection, far more than you would need with the vast majority of safes. If you decide that you want to use this product but not directly place it in the safe, something that would be a good idea unless you have a larger sized safe, then you will find this to be a great option.
You can place this in any room in your home that is near where the safe is located, and let it do the work for you. This means that it can reduce humidity around the safe, which will reduce the possibility of moisture building up inside the safe. A very well designed and smart product to say the least.
#4 PEET Dryer – SafeKeeping Dryer and Dehumidifier
- One of the most efficient dehumidifiers you will find
- Unique design ensures that all parts of your safe will be properly treated to ensure that no moisture builds up
- Quiet during operation
- Takes up a lot of space inside your safe
- If you use inside the safe you must drill a hole to accommodate the power cord
- Is a bit complicated to learn how to use
What makes it the ideal choice is that it is specially built to ensure that all corners and crevices of your safe are fully treated during the dehumidification process. This lets you know that no corner is going to be allowed to build up moisture, because of the design of the product.
If you intend to install it inside your safe, you will have to drill a hole to accommodate the power cord. How the product works is that it heats the top of the unit, and does not use a fan. This means you won’t have any annoying sound coming from your safe, yet it has been found to be even more effective than standard fan based dehumidifiers.
There is a bit of a learning curve to be able to learn how to use this product, but the company provides a number of tutorials online to assist you in maximizing the benefits of using this dehumidifier. Truly, if you are looking for the highest level of efficiency in keeping your safe humidity free you will truly love this option.
#5 LOCKDOWN Silica Gel, 750 Grams
- Easy to recharge and reuse the dehumidifier
- Made with a durable aluminum and plastic that you can count on to last for years
- Works effectively in a space up to 57 ft.³
- Perfect for anyone who lives in a damp climate
- Some have expressed concern about the use of plastic melting during the recharging process
- Needs to be recharged on a frequent basis
The silica gel contained inside the dehumidifier is able to make it so that moisture is quickly absorbed from your safe, ensuring that water are condensation does not build up to corrode or rust your firearms or other valuables. Plus, you can easily recharge and reuse the dehumidifier by placing it in the oven to evaporate the moisture. Then it is ready to go again.
The dehumidifier is able to protect up to 57 ft.³, not only allowing you to use it within a small safe, but also if you have a safe room in your home, you would find that this is a perfect choice for you. Water is easily absorbed from the air through the numerous vents on the side of the can, making it work quickly and effectively.
You will love the fact that this dehumidifier is made of a combination of plastic and aluminum, giving you a durable product that you can count on to work for years. Sometimes the most simplistic options available are the very best once, and you are likely to find that this is the perfect option for you.
Buyer’s Guide : How to Make the Right Choice?
No matter which kind of dehumidifier you select, you should be aware that the type, electric versus desiccant, is not the only features related to these kinds of products you should be aware of. There are other factors you want to consider, which include the following:
- Lifespan. Most of the very best dehumidifiers will last for at least 10 years. Check with the manufacturer and with reviews that you find online to make sure that you’re getting one that will last for some time.
- Source of Power. If you do not want to use a dehumidifier that requires a cord, especially if you are using it inside your safe, you must understand that you will have to drill a hole in your safe. That may not be a good option for you, so you want to get something that is either battery-powered or requires no source of power at all.
- Size. Not every dehumidifier you will find will fit inside your safe. You want something that will accommodate what you already own, or a dehumidifier that will work to reduce moisture even if it is not inside the safe.
- Indicator System. When your dehumidifier needs to be recharged or it needs to be emptied of the moisture it has absorbed, you want to know. There are dehumidifiers that will provide you with the proper indicator lights if that is what you are looking for. This can be a valuable feature.
- Coverage. The amount of space that the dehumidifier can cover is important as well. If you are only going to place it inside the safe, then maybe this is not that big of a deal. But if you are purchasing one to be used in the room where the safe is contained, you want one that can handle a large area.
- Safety. One of the chief complaints you will hear about some rechargeable dehumidifiers is how hot the device gets while it is being recharged. While they are still perfectly safe during this time, things like that may be of concern to you, and so you may want to choose something that gives you better peace of mind during its use or maintenance.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
While this review may have answered a number of questions you have related to purchasing a dehumidifier, here are some additional ones that may help to answer any other questions you may have.
What is a dehumidifier?
The dehumidifier serves several purposes in the home and these can be used in a gun safe as well. When it is turned on, it will absorb most of the moisture in the air and release a nice and fragrances smell. The dehumidifier in the house can also be used as a method of improving your home smell and cleanliness and it will absorb all bad smell.
Gun safe dehumidifiers are different and they are not scented. They only absorbs the moisture to stop is from setting on your valuables and especially your rifles. You might not even notice the amount of moisture in the air, but I can assure you that there is moisture everywhere, it is only enhanced in coastal areas.
Why I should buy a gun safe dehumidifier?
A gun safe is the first step to keep your guns safe from burglars, but many people do not know that there is another silent killer that could cause immense damage to your firearms, especially if they are not used a lot.
Moisture is not all that common everywhere in the world, but it is really harmful in coastal areas and this is visible on a lot of the homes you see close to your favourite holiday destination. Moisture build up can also be present inside your home from the evaporation of water while cooking and close to the bathroom.
How can I monitor the humidity levels on my gun safe?
This can be done in a few different ways. First of all, there are measuring tools that you can purchase that will let you know what the level of humidity is in your gun safe. The obvious way to check is if you find that items are damp or that there are small droplets of condensation that are building up. The dehumidifier you purchased may also provide you with the measuring tool to let you know what the humidity level is at.
How can I reduce the humidity in my gun safe quickly?
Sadly, you may find that there is very little that you can do outside of purchasing a dehumidifier. Some safes will build up condensation in them no matter where you place them in your home. If you are a person who lives in a humid area, including living near lakes or rivers, you are going to have humidity build up. In this case, the only option you may have is to purchase yourself a dehumidifier.
What are the negative implications of not having a gun safe dehumidifier?
Not having a dehumidifier in your safe can be bad and rust will eventually start setting on the metal. If the gun is not regularly used and inspected, you might not even notice this and for people collecting military grade weapons like hand grenades, it can be life threatening.
The safety pins on hand grenades and firearms can easily take damage and over time, they will start to wear out and one day just breaks off. If you have a hand grenade collection, this could put your entire family and household at risk, but the dehumidifier will absorb all the moisture and ensure that it does not happen.
Why an external dehumidifier will not work?
With most gun safe brands improving the design to make it more resistant against water and fire, the dehumidifier will be great when it is built in. External dehumidifiers might not be the best and they will not be able to get to moisture on the inside of the safe. They might very well stop moisture from getting to the safe, but once the moisture is on the inside, it will still cause harm.
Internal safe dehumidifiers are also cheap and they can be easily installed. I like to consider this as a type of investment that will keep the guns and other metal objects dry and away from any moisture.
How can I keep my guns safe without a dehumidifier?
Actually, there are a few other methods to limit the moisture build up and the effect of the moisture, but these methods can be costly and thus the dehumidifier might be the cheapest option for you to consider.
- Have your firearm plated. This can be expensive, depending on the type of metal you choose for plating the firearm, but it is also a trusted method of keeping rust from damaging your gun. Most guns are black in design and then they are plated to give them that silver look. I do recommend considering this as an alternative.
- Make sure the safe is insulated. Adding more insulation to the safe is always great and it will keep the moisture from building up in the safe, but the insulation is usually done with silicone by normal people to save money. I recommend the special plastic for insulation and added fire protection, but it is expensive.
- Regularly inspect your guns. This method might not be that expensive, but it certainly will take some time to do and you might need to brush up on the inner workings of your gun. But, by regularly cleaning the gun, you should be able to spot any problems and have them rectified.
These alternative methods can be used in place of gun safe dehumidifiers, but I do recommend that you do them in conjunction with a gun safe dehumidifier. People who cannot afford these more advanced options should definitely look into buying a gun safe dehumidifier at an affordable price.