No matter how good of a shot you are, the use of a shooting stick can greatly enhance your accuracy and performance. The reality is that weather conditions, age, and fatigue can have a dramatic impact on your ability to get often accurate shot, even if you are talking about the use of a camera.
This is where a shooting stick can be the perfect option for you. These products enable you to improve your stability and accuracy, taking the pressure off you so that you get the shot you need with greater performance. This is why may be the perfect option for you, and this review should help you to find the right option for yourself.
Types of Shooting Stick Available
There are three primary types of shooting sticks: tripod, bipod, and monopod. Each one of these gets their name based upon the number of poles that are used to stabilize the product. Based upon the name, it is likely that you have already determined that bipods have two legs to them, monopods Have a single pole, while tripods have three.
Depending upon the level of stability that you need and the kind of terrain you envision yourself using your shooting stick upon helps you determine which one of these three products you might find to be the best option for you.
Another term you will hear related to shooting sticks is field pods. These products are much larger, but provide you with a great deal more accuracy and are perfect for those who are intending to do longer distances shooting. Because of the design, they are able to keep your weapon secure within the rest, helping you to have a much more accurate shot.
12 Best Rated Shooting Sticks
We did not want you to just have a list of outstanding products. Instead, we have broken down this review to give you three of the top products in four different categories. This should help you to make a much more informed decision based upon the kind of shooting stick you desire.
|Best Monopod Shooting Sticks|
|#1 Primos 65802 Tall Monopod Trigger Stick|
|#2 Vanguard Scout M62 Gun Pod|
|#3 Vanguard VEO 2 AM-234TU Shooting Stick|
|Best Bipod Shooting Sticks|
|#4 AccuShot BT10 Atlas Bipod Standard|
|#5 Bogs-Pod CLD Camo Shooting Rest|
|#6 Magpul Rifle Bipod|
|Best Tripod Shooting Sticks|
|#7 Caldwell Deadshot FieldPod Max Adjustable Ambidextrous Rifle Shooting Rest|
|#8 BOG-POD TAC-3 Shooting Tactical Tall Tripod|
|#9 Primos 65807 Gen 2 Jim Shockey Edition Deluxe Trigger Stick|
|Best Crossbow Shooting Sticks|
|#10 TenPoint Crossbows SteddyEddy Crossbow Monopod|
|#11 Primos 65818 Gen3 Crossbow Tall Tripod Shooting Stick|
|#12 Carbon Express Adjustable Crossbow Shooting Stick|
#1 Primos 65802 Tall Monopod Trigger Stick
- Easy to set up and use
- Light weight and small enough to carry with you anywhere you go
- Provides quick 360° rotation, and enables you to be able to adjust height on the fly
- Built with a sturdy aluminum to give you a durable shooting stick
- Many report that the item showed up broken
- After using it for some time you will find that the handle will create a clicking sound that reduces your ability to remain silent
The stand itself weighs just 1.5 pounds, making it easy for you to carry with you anywhere you go, and you are able to reduce it in size to 33 inches, the perfect size to fit inside any backpack or to strap to a backpack. It will extend up to 65 inches, making it ideal for a shooter of almost any height.
Included with the shooting stick is a V-shaped yoke that enables you to have quick direction changes up to 360° in rotation. Plus, it is built to handle almost any style of firearm, holding it snugly in place. It is even built to handle a camera and many types of crossbows.
This product is made of a durable aluminum that will keep is strong and make it last for years. It’s design is perfect and that it makes it easy for you to carry with you wherever you go.
One thing you will clearly love is the fact that it comes with a rapid trigger adjustment system, making it easy for you to make quick adjustments while out in the field. This is a fantastic choice that enables you to be able to adjust the height and rotate your firearm quickly to get the perfect shot. You will love how easy it is to carry and use, making it the perfect option.
#2 Vanguard Scout M62 Gun Pod
- A sturdy product made of a durable aluminum alloy
- The V-shaped yoke holds your product in place
- The perfect choice for those who are seated or laying down
- Light weight and portable
- Easy to position as needed
- The tension can cause it to break easily
- Better when not fully extended, making it better when you are seated
- Not as stable for heavier firearms
This monopod weighs just 0.6 pounds, and is made with a sturdy aluminum alloy this built to take a beating and still stay strong. The shooting stick extends from 22.2 inches all the way up to 62.0 inches, allowing you to reduce in size to fit almost any backpack, while still being able to extend it to be the perfect option for virtually any person to use.
The this is shooting stick breaks down into four different pieces, making it even easier for you to take apart when you are carrying the product. The monopod includes cushioned foam handgrips, making it easier for you to hold the pod while using it. Wrist straps provide additional stability, and a rubber tipped foot keeps the monopod more stable during use.
The head uses a V-shaped yoke, that holds your camera, crossbow, or firearm securely in place while giving you great stability. You will also like the fact that grip like teeth extend from the yoke to give you a firmer hold for your product. Truly a fantastic innovation.
The yoke spins 360°, making it easy for you to turn and get the shot you need as you needed. The hand grip helps you to stabilize the monopod and to make fine and coarse adjustments to the height and direction quickly and easily.
#3 Vanguard VEO 2 AM-234TU Shooting Stick
- Comes with a tri-stand base, creating stability while giving you the capability of shooting from different angles
- Lightweight and reduces in size to make it portable
- Can also function as a walking cane
- Built with a durable aluminum
- Gives you versatility and flexibility to use the product as needed while still maintaining stability
- The additional weight is noticeable
- Comes in only one color, meaning you will either have to spray-paint it or applied camo tape
When closed, the shooting stick is 24.5 inches in length, making it ideal to fit in almost any bag or backpack. However, you are able to extend it to as much as 64 inches, accommodating almost any person. It weighs just 2 pounds, making it lightweight enough to take with you anywhere you need to go.
The tri-base is not just about stability. This gives you a great deal of action because of the pivoting ball joint that is included. This allows you to tilt your rifle, scope, or lands to get the perfect angle you desire for you shot. Plus, a U-shaped yoke is included in the head that securely holds your device in place. It doesn’t matter whether you were talking about a camera or a firearm, you will feel you are getting a great deal of stability with this product.
Amazingly enough, you are able to remove the cap so that you can take off the head and actually use this as a walking stick. This can give you some additional stability while you are out walking or hiking.
What a fantastically designed product this is. It is really built to give you all of the advantages of a monopod, while adding some additional functionality to accommodate almost any user. You will truly find this to be an outstanding product.
Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the Right Shooting Stick
The type of shooting stick is not the only thing to consider when making your purchase. There are several other factors that you may want to consider, which include:
- Build. If you are a person who is going to spend a lot of time using your shooting rest, then you want something that is durable. Products that are made with aluminium are lightweight and provided durable metal for you. However, they are not as light as those made from cotton fiber. You may find that carbon is a better choice if you are a person who is going to be hauling your shooting stick through rugged terrain.
- Legs and Tips. We have already seen that there are three different options in terms of the number of legs that are provided for the stand. This helps to provide greater stability, but the tips are also important. If you are intending to set up in an area where it can be slippery or the terrain can be unstable, you likely want tips that will hold tighter to the ground. Plus, you may be looking for legs that provide different adjustable settings for each pole.
- Carriage. Most of the shooting sticks that you will find give you the ability to rotate 360°. This allows you to quickly turn and fire if necessary. Not all do, however. If this is a necessity for you then you will need a product that accommodates your needs.
- Weight. We talked about the weight a bit in terms of build, but you also have to consider that even if a product is lightweight, it can still be bulky. This may make it difficult for you to be able to navigate through brush or other terrain, so weight and design become even more important.
How to Use a Shooting Stick the Right Way?
While a shooting stick can be a great advantage in providing you stability, knowing how to properly use it is important. Here are five tips that will help you to use your shooting stick the right way.
- Make sure that you find good ground to position your shooting stick before you decide to adjust your rifle properly. It is important that you take the time and be patient to set yourself up so you will get the kind of shot you desire.
- Make sure you choose a place that allows you to be stable as well. Regardless of whether you are standing, sitting, or laying down, having yourself stabilized will help you to stabilize the shooting stick as well.
- Make sure that you make the proper adjustments before deciding to take your shot. That extra few seconds to get your shooting stick at the right angle, height, and tilt is essential.
- Not to be a dead horse, but getting the right height is important. Make sure that the terrain accommodates the height that you need.
- Before you purchase any shooting stick, make sure that you are buying a product that fits your needs. In other words, do some research.